If you know me at all, you’ll know that I LOVE celebrating birthdays, my own and others. Even though I have a tendency to keep quiet about my birthday, it’s my secret desire that I will walk into an unexpected surprise party—oops, guess that secret’s out!
So when my husband’s birthday was coming up, I was excited to do something special for him; take him out, make a card, buy something he really wanted, etc. But as life seems to go, his birthday fell on one of the busiest work weekends I’ve ever had, and only one of those things actually happened. Silly me for thinking that because his birthday was on a Saturday, we’d get to spend all day together doing whatever he wanted…it was pretty much the opposite. However, I still tried to make his birthday weekend as special as possible, with a few of his favorite things.
Bring on the birthday madness wife-style:
- Dinner out Friday night took us to Red Robin, per my husband’s request (plus we had a gift card—thanks Mom!). Red Robin is one of his favorite places to get a burger and shake. Of course, I didn’t complain. 🙂
- We love going to the movies, but just don’t go often. So when I heard Noah was coming out that night, I knew it would be a hit with my man! But going out to eat before seeing a movie always seems to turn into, scarfing your food down as fast as you can so you can get there in time to find a good seat. Lucky for us, I ordered our tickets online and unknowingly handpicked our seats, which meant no fighting over them. The best part was, we went to a theater with leather reclining seats—which was unquestionably the best part of the movie!
- The Movie: my choice was successful! We both enjoyed Noah—all the Biblical aspects and not-so Biblical aspects. It was entertaining, eye-opening, jaw dropping, intense and at times funny. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to people. It inspired us to read the flood story together in the Bible, which was really great.
- Saturday, I was busy with work in the morning and again at night, but I got to bring the birthday boy along with me for my work party. Suffice it to say, his actual birthday was kind of a bust in terms of celebrating, but we made the most of it!
- And most importantly, I was still able to bake him yummy chocolate chip cookies on Sunday, which he was patiently waiting for. 🙂
Overall, the weekend was great between eating good food, relaxing at the movies, working a bit and celebrating my hubby! Life is a sweet, messy ride; however, I do hope that next year is a much calmer birthday celebration.
I hope you had a great weekend too!